Beetroot benefits: The website that we lovebeetroot.co.uk says the vegetable became popular in Roman times. And it was used to treat fever, wounds, constipation, skin problems – and then used as an aphrodisiac. Most of the beetroot on sale is round and red, but white, yellow and stripey versions are also available.
- It is the rooted vegetable which is related to the Swedes, turnips, and for the sugar beet.
- while the beetroot has a sweet taste, its leaves (which are also edible) bitter to taste it.
- Beetroot has featured in so many recipes from top chefs including Jamie Oliver and Heston Blumenthal.
- The red color of the beetroot can be extracted and used as a natural food colorant. It has the ‘E’ number E162.
- The leaves of beetroot are a rich source of iron, calcium, vitamin C, and beta – carotene.
1.Beetroot for blood pressure management:
- Researchers that have known for some time that the juice may help in decreasing blood pressure.
- Due to its naturally occurring nitrate content.
- Nitrates are also found in the vegetables, fruits and then processed for meats.
2.Beetroot for the brain and dementia:
- Blood flow studies have shown drinking juice of increasing blood flow to the brain.
- For a short while in older people.
- Maintaining proper blood circulation to the brain.
- It is associated with a reduced risk of vascular dementia, one of the leading causes of dementia.
- Nitrates in the food that we eat, and we drink can be converted into nitrites by the bacteria in our mouth.
- We then swallow these nitrites in the form saliva.
- Which when absorbed into our body help in dilating (widen) arteries.
- And increasing the blood flow and then supplying the oxygen.
- Which is needed and then demanded by the body cells.
- Anthocyanins, the BDA says, can help with the recovery from the stress of the exercise during training and also competition.
- As well as helping to counter the effects of pollution on the body.
Beetroot side effects:
- It can turn urine into a pink color, which can be mistaken for blood in the urine.
- It may also alter to the color of your poo.
- Which can be used to give you a good idea of how quickly the food moves through your body.
- Kidney stones are also painful stones sometimes made from the calcium oxalate.
- If you can suffer from the renal oxalate stones, make sure you drink plenty of the fluid (not coffee).
- And then cut down on dietary oxalates from the green leafy vegetables.
- (including beetroot leaves), rhubarb, cashews, chocolate, and then peanuts.
- Population studies across countries that show that a high intake of the fruits and the vegetables.
- (at least 5-a-day) help in managing blood pressure.
- And may reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Eating a variety of vegetables and fruits is the best for health benefits.
- Nitrites – formed in our saliva by the mouth bacteria working on the nitrates.
- It can interact with the dietary protein in the stomach to potentially which make substances called the nitrosamines.
- The majority of nitrosamines are carcinogenic (cancer-causing) in the animals, and this is likely to be similar in humans.
- Research that has not been done to show whether taking nitrate-rich vegetable drinks long term is then safe in terms of nitrosamine levels with a high nitrate of diet.
Vitamin C is the rich foods may help in reducing nitrosamine formation.
- In summary, it is eating a diet which is rich in fruits and vegetables that can provide you with nitrates and other substances.
- That help in reducing blood pressure and can lower your risk of heart disease.
- Taking off high dose nitrate drinks has been shown in the research studies to have short-acting benefits on the blood pressure.
- And improved blood flow, but the safety of the concentrated-nitrate foods and can drinks have taken regularly over several years has yet to be proven.
- You need your mouth bacteria to make the necessary conversion of nitrates into the form of nitrites.
- But remember if you use mouthwash you kill off mouth bacteria that cause tooth decay
- But also stop dietary nitrates from being converted into the nitrites that have the blood-pressure which is lowering effect.